Google
 

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saudi Youth Attitude

I have lived and worked in Saudi for a few years (obviously, hehehe see the blog title). And I always, OK, most of the time, read the entry of Rasheed Abou-Alsamh, his Manila Moods, or his blog. His entry today is about the laziness of Saudi youth, and to quote him:

" Another Saudi colleague reinforced the lazy characterization of many Saudis by telling me that when she went to the Durrat al-Arous beach resort near Jeddah for five days recently, most of the Saudis there slept the whole day, rising only at 4:30 p.m. to have their first meal of the day at 5 p.m."

All I can say is that, he is right. I have seen lots of them. I have been asking myself, what if they do not have oil? What I mean is, there is more to life than sleeping all day long, or bullying you're maid, or having the most oil, hehehe.

Many people enjoy gardening, for example. Or cooking, washing dishes, or cleaning the kitchen.

But in fairness, some of the best Saudi guys I worked with are those that have been overseas, or educated there. Best, I mean is hard working, always on time, and understands the word "quality" and "respect".

So, I guess to change the culture of the Saudi youth, and because the Saudi Government has lots of money - they should send more and more of their youth overseas, to widen their world view and to change their attitudes, in general (whatever that means).