Google
 

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Working in Saudi Arabia

I have been working in Saudi Arabia for a total of 18 months and 20 days now. I have been on official vacation to the Philippines twice. That 18 months was not straight, I first came here on a tourist visa, which my sponsor kept on extending 2 months at a time. That was in 2003, my stay during this period lasted for 9 months. Tapos umuwi ako sa Pilipinas and was jobless for 10 months. But my sponsor called me in October last year (while I was looking for a job) to return here, if I was interested, kaya bumalik ako dito dahil wala akong makitang trabaho sa Pilipinas. Sabi ko sa sarili ko “nobody wants to hire me in the Philippines”. Ngayon, all in all 18 months and 20 days na akong nakikipagsapalaran dito.

Ano ba na-achieve ko sa pag-a-abroad?

a. I was able to send to college two of my nieces. I call them “my scholars”.

b. Nakabili ako ng dalawang MCH (Motor Cab for Hire), ito ang tawag sa aming probinsya. The boundary of these two MCH is 600 pesos a day, which my “scholars are managing”, they get their expenses, tuition etc. from the MCH, and they deposit the boundary money, after expenses to my account weekly. Kaya kumikita pa rin ako kahit nandito ako sa Saudi.

c. I was able to employ 4 people. One MCH has two drivers (isa sa gabi at isa sa araw), kaya literally, four families are dependent on that small livelihood I created out of my saving here in Saudi.

d. I was able to buy four hectares of land planted with coconuts and rice. It is managed by one family (katiwala), on my behalf. The proceeds are given to my mother, which she also deposits to my account.

e. I was able to provide agricultural loans to 6 rice farmers during my vacation last month. They pay interest during harvest (2x a year) at on going rate of 8 sacks of palay per 10,000 pesos loan. I am expecting 300 sacks of palay as interest per year. Pag maging maganda ito, I will expand it to enable me to earn an interest of 2000 sacks of palay per year.

f. I was also able to buy a 300 sqm lot in the city.

g. I planted 20 mango and, 100 mahogany and narra trees during my vacation last month.

Paano ko nagawa ito?

I save every riyal and halala. Hindi ako bumili ng mamahaling cellphone, hindi rin ako bumili ng mga alahas at ginto, I limit my calls to the Philippines, at hindi rin ako kumakain ng mga masasarap, at hindi rin ako bumili ng sasakyan dito. In others words, sa pagiging kuripot, at sa pagsasakrispisyo.hehehe.

Ano pa ang plano ko?

May isang taon pa ako dito (until September 2006) sapat na panahon para makapag-ipon ng pera pampagawa ng bahay ko at pambili ng sasakyan ko (pick-up truck). Ang tira ay gagawin kong capital sa balak kong farming business.

I have simple dreams. And I plan to live a simple, comfortable life. Bow!