Google
 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Five years ago was not so long ago.

I remembered it. While everyone was leaving KSA, I was going there. This was because, during that time, I needed a job, desperately. I worked there for a little over two years - on a tourist Visa. Yes, a tourist Visa in KSA!

I remembered it because exactly a week after I arrived, the news says, the American forces were in Iraq. We, or at least I, expected a strong resistance from Saddam Hussein and expected the invasion would take months. But it lasted - only days.

On the news today:

Iraq on Thursday marks the fifth anniversary of the US-led invasion that toppled brutal dictator Saddam Hussein, but also plunged a nation of 26 million people into chaos and bloodshed.

On March 20, 2003, US warplanes dropped the first bombs on Baghdad to announce an invasion that would within three weeks topple Saddam's tyrannical regime and leave US forces in charge of a resentful and rebellious people.

Five years on, Iraqis and US forces still face daily attacks from insurgent gangs and Islamist militants, and fighting between armed factions from both sides of Iraq's Sunni-Shiite sectarian divide rages on.


----------

PS:

My KSA experience freed me from poverty, and possible alcoholism.