Google
 

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Bird Flu

I watched Oprah last night, and the topic of the show was about birdflu. What stuck in my mind about the show was the fact that the expert said: its coming, it will happen, and it’s just a matter of time.

Who am I to doubt or question that guy? So, I’ll take it for real.

I remember when I was in college that I had a subject on Ecology and Biodiversity; in that class, I learned that communities, somehow, go into cycles: for example, algae population would flourish/bloom, afterwards its population would drop… and soon…a boom-bust cycle of some sort. The typical example that comes into mind is the red tide events, only that the time scale is very short….it appears…and it disappears.APIR!. If we take human population as another example, probably it will also go into the same cycle – population explosion, after certain events, its population would bust to certain levels – and the only difference is that the time scale is much longer.

Probably, it is a natural process, and what comes into my mind is the GAIA theory, which says, (I hope I am right), “after a period of stresses and abuse, mother earth has a capacity to heal itself, one way or the other” and it wouldn’t care – in the process of healing itself- whether humans will be part or not of the healed earth. Something like that….

So…? All I am saying is that I agree with that guy. It is coming, and it is just a matter of time.

Hala……